Robert Kubica - the best Polish driver

Monday, October 28, 2013

Robert Kubica is a new WRC2 Champion - movies, photos and interview!

Robert Kubica and Maciej Baran won WRC2 class in Rally of Spain and secured championship title in their first season in WRC. Kubica showed amazing pace and crushed his rivals with over 5 minutes of advantage on the finish. Pole broke many records and confirmed that he has a great potential. Kubica admits that his priority is to get back to F1.


Before the rally Kubica needed first or second place to secure championship title. Pole started with 7 wins in a row in SS and made over 2 minutes of advantage over Elfyn Evans who crashed on last Saturday`s Special Stage. Before the last day of rally Kubica had over 4 minutes advantage over Sepp Wiegand and started to drive very carefully - only to finish this tough rally. Wiegand had a gearbox problem and he also retired from rally. Kubica finished with over 5 minutes of advantage over second driver and was 9th in overall classification. Here are the results of Rally of Spain:

Here you can see decoration ceremony and great Kubica`s celebration:




Below you can read press conference transcription with many interesting Kubica`s quotes - he admits, that his priority is still to get back to F1 and he will never give up to achieve it.

Q: Robert you have said the title wasn't your aim, but this must be nice?
Robert Kubica: It's a nice feeling. It's definitely a good day for us. As you say, I repeat from the beginning – it's because of my situation from the accident in 2011. Before the accident, I was working only for the results. This was always the priority, but when you have limits and you are not healthy 100 per cent your health is the priority - you can't do anything without it. But still it's nice to achieve in motorsport. I have seen this last year, when I did some small rallies, but even on the surface where I don't have the experience – the gravel, it was good. On the gravel, you need more input in the steering, still my arm is not perfect, but it's enough to perform well and drive safely and at good speed.

Q: You've battled back from adversity and you've kept going so it must be good for your soul knowing you are continuing to get much, much better and much, much stronger?
Robert Kubica: For sure. I'm quite a demanding person, especially from myself. I know there is a long way to go and I hope the improvement of my arm and hand is not finished, otherwise I think the most important thing is that you believe in it and you work on it. Until I have full movement I don't give up and the motivation will stay very high. I can still drive very well but I would love to come back to where I was, not because rallying is secondary motorsport category but it's normal that I work for many years to become an F1 driver and after many seasons in F1 to become a stable F1 driver then suddenly it all stopped. But that was a long time ago, now we are in Spain and have won the World Championship and we should talk about that.

Q: How did you find the Tarmac sections, the night time stages?
Robert Kubica: Everybody said Spain is perfect for the circuit driver. To be honest the circuit drivers are not used to run on the road, more on the circuit where they know every centimetre. Here the stages are demanding, they are very wide and have two lines – I saw this from the recce and you can't take the perfect line. On left corners [during the recce], the first time I was trying to stay on my line – this puts a lot of questions before you jump in the rally car. The stages were very nice. I can imagine in a WRC car they are even nicer I can imagine… but also they were challenging in the RRC. But we had a very good pace and made some extremely good times on some stages. Today was a difficult day, but it was a big surprise. We didn't have to push too hard today, which made it a bit easier.

Q: Did you find it difficult switching from Tarmac to gravel today?
Robert Kubica: Yes and no. I always find it very difficult when you don't have to push on gravel. It was the same in Greece, the same in Sardinia. In a gravel-spec car you need to put some effort, some energy into the suspension, the dampers, the tyres to make it work, to make it produce the grip level you need to go fast. When you slow down all these factors make it difficult to drive fast. This is very difficult, especially when you move from the circuit where you drive very smoothly, very gentle. On gravel you need to force it to make the car work, you need to put some effort into the tyres, the suspension and things. I have this habit from the circuit I got from 20 years you try to be as smooth as possible but on gravel you need to be more aggressive. Today it was not easy but with my lead I didn't have to perform straight away.

Q: Robert, Wales Rally GB and a World Rally Car await. How do you feel?
Robert Kubica: We have to stay very calm. I know many people would like to see me go very fast in GB, but I think it will be very difficult. It will be impossible for me to be on pace or close enough to the top five or six, otherwise – with all the other drivers' experience, something will be wrong in the system. I cannot be 20 years circuit driver, then jump into the stage at the end of March and in six months be able to fight with the top guys in the world, where they are the best. We have to stay calm and I am staying very calm. I don't think GB will make any difference to my season or to next year. I take it with thanks to Citroën and Abu Dhabi and I say thanks to Lotos – they have to say yes for this and they support me quite a lot. I am here thanks to them. I didn't have budget without them. Back to GB, this is a great opportunity to learn a new rally and new stages. This is my target. This is a bonus for me, normally my season ends today and now I have to thank for the opportunity, Citroën and Abu Dhabi. I see it as fun, if this guy has the chance from six months to drive the factory car for the first time, then I would say this is good.

Q: What's the situation for next year – when will we get a decision?
Robert Kubica: To be honest I think it's like you know the silly season as in F1. Everybody puts their own idea and we can have a big lottery and somebody will get it right. To be honest, and it's not a secret that I have some opportunities to drive next year in a WRC car, but with whom or if I will drive or if it's the right moment, to be honest I don't know. Rally GB will not change my mind but if I commit to an important role I need to be sure I am able to do this. Believe me, after a difficult period I have to say it's not so easy as it looks from the outside. I need to be sure I can play an important role in the team. Fifty per cent of the rallies will be new to me and it depends a lot on what people expect by putting me in the car. I have an idea for next year. If I stay next year I will continue on the learning curve because you can only judge the level of a driver after three years in the WRC. For sure if after three years I am not able to fight at the top it means I have made a mistake and I am not good enough. But it's too early to say this. We have to be honest because I drive first time in gravel in March so it's a long way to go.

Thanks to this win Robert secured his victory in WRC2 class this year. Pole competed in 7 rallies - he won 5 of them, once he was second and scored sixth place in Portugal. Kubica and Baran claimed their title in their first season( nie wiem o co chodzi w tym zdaniu – Kubica i Baran zażądali ich tytułu w pierwszym sezonie?). Kubica before this year had only few rallies under his belt and never drove on the gravel. Here are WRC and WRC2 classifications:



His results are just amazing, especially when we consider limitations of his right hand. This is first international title in rallies for Poland since 1997 and first world championship title for Polish crew.

Below you can see photos and movies from Rally of Spain. Enjoy!


fot. Citroen Racing

fot. www.facebook.com/sokolimokiem


fot. Citroen Racing

fot. Citroen Racing

fot. Citroen Racing



fot. www.facebook.com/sokolimokiem

fot. www.facebook.com/CezaryGutowskiOfficial











fot. Citroen Racing



fot. Cezary Gutowski

fot. Colin Clark



fot. Citroen Racing

fot. Citroen Racing






fot. Citroen Racing





fot. Citroen Racing










fot. Colin Clark






































Page robertscomeback.blogspot.com is on facebook! Like it and be well informed!

No comments:

Post a Comment